The most important thing to remember when you spill or soil your carpet is to clean the spot immediately. You will have a good chance of totally removing the soil if you do so when the spill is fresh. To improve your chances of success follow these tips:
- Remove as much of the spill as possible. Carefully blot or scrape the entire area before applying any cleaning solution.
- Before using any cleaning solution, test your carpet in an inconspicuous area to make sure the cleaner won’t damage or discolor it.
- Do not rub the spill — that might spread the problem to a larger area. Gently blot out the soil.
- When you apply spot cleaner, you will need to work from the outside of the stain toward the inside to avoid spreading the stain. After applying a cleaning solution, blot up all the moisture.
- A clean white bath towel is works best for both drying carpet and brushing the nap back up to a standing position.
- If the carpet still feels too wet when you are through blotting, place a thick white towel over the spot and place a heavy object on top of it. This will also help the spot wick into the towel.